Paper Towel Roll & Pom Pom Challenge 💡 ages 3+ 💡 This awesome game is so simple to make and tons of fun! A perfect STEAM activity that incorporates engineering (building the game) and math (moving the pom pom through the game in the correct order). It’s also great for fine motor skills, balance and coordination.
MATERIALS NEEDED (affiliate links):
Empty paper towel rolls
A shallow cardboard container (we used the bottom of a file folder box, but a large shoebox lid would work as well)
WHAT TO DO:
1. Start by cutting the empty paper towel rolls into 1.5 inch sections.
2. Once you have 10 pieces cut, arrange them randomly inside the cardboard container. Be sure to leave enough room so the pom pom can roll between the pieces.
3. Then lift each piece and place a small drop of glue under it and replace it back in the same spot on the container.
4. Allow the glue to dry for about an hour. Once the glue is dry, write the numbers 1-10 on top of the pieces in random order.
5. Finally, place the pom pom in the container and then game can begin.
The object of the game is to get the pom pom to roll through all the numbered pieces in the correct order. For toddlers, they can practice rolling the pom pom around through the tunnels and identifying numbers.
Modifications: You could also label the rolls with letters, shapes or colors depending on the age of the kids or to work on different skills.
If you like this activity, check out some of our other math activities.
About Raising Dragons
Raising Dragons is a site dedicated to raising strong, smart, amazing kids! Our focus is on creating activities that can easily be pulled together with items you have around the house. We believe learning should be fun and accessible for everyone and can be done with everyday objects! We also know parents are busy and don’t have lots of time to pull together activities so we keep things very SIMPLE! Check out some of our favorite activities like: Writing Letters in Sprinkles, Alphabet Lids, and a Calm Down Sensory Bottle.